Monday, July 5, 2010

The Widow and the Oil

Knock. Knock. Excuse me I need to borrow a pot. Acutely all you have that you can spare. I promise I will return them. No I can’t explain why, I am not sure I fully understand that myself. Please, have mercy on me. You know my husband died yesterday. Maybe I am still crazy with grieve; maybe I am so desperate that I will try anything. I beg of you loan me all your extra vessels.
This is how I spend my day, repeating this conversation with any one that would listen and like them wondering if I have lost my mind. My husband had been a good man, a Godly man, a prophet and faithful servant; but he had died suddenly and left me in debt. The creditor had come and told me that if I did not pay all by the end of the week he would take my two sons for slaves and throw me out on the streets. My boys were young not even twelve and I had no way to make a living. I did not know how I could afford to feed them, even if he did not take them. So, I sat crying by the grave.
I had not known what to do. I saw Elisha, God’s prophet, under which my husband had served, walking toward me and I beg him to intercede for me to God. He had asked me what I had and I told him only a little oil. He had told me to get every pot I could. My boys and I had spent the day gathering pots and clean them. My house was now full of pots. Everywhere you looked, there were pots. There were even pots on top of pots.
Now just as he said I closed the door and windows. I said one last prayer that God would see my need and answer me. Then I took down the jar that held maybe a cup of oil and I began to pour. A miracle took place for that jar just keep pouring. My son brought me first one pot and then another. So we continue for hours, until at last every pot was filled. I thank God. I went back to Elisha and told him what had happen. He told me to go and sell the oil.
My son and I loaded up the wagon and lugged one load after another into town to sell. The dealer said it was the purest oil he had ever seen. When we had finished I had enough money to pay my debt and seven years wages. My boys would be men by then and could make their own living and take care of me. God had had mercy on me and heard my cry. (2 Kings 4:1-7)

So often in our darkest most painful moments someone comes along and places one more burden on us and we feel we have reach our last straw. As we sit crying, God comes walking by looking for us. Maybe the husband has walked out on his wife and left kids with no support. Maybe the wife died at childbirth and the father has been left to raise a baby alone. Maybe the business venture that one has sunk their life saving into falls apart and the bank account is empty. Maybe the doctor’s bills leave one looking at bankrupts as the only way out. God asks us what we have, be it a dollar, a talent, a prayer, a hope, an idea, or a strong back then he said let me use that to multiply my blessing in your life. We may not be able to see the end when we start, but have to step out in faith. Others may think that we are crazy and lost our mind, and we may not be so sure we have not ourselves, but if we listen to God word and pour out that first drop of oil He will met us where we are and bless us because He loves us. Never will He leave us alone to deal with things on our own, if we will but ask for His help.

Kathy Barnes
07-01-10

No comments: