Friday, June 11, 2010

Syro-Phoenicia Woman

I was passing through the region of Tyre on my master business when I began hearing stories of a great teacher who performed miracles. He was called, Jesus of Nazarene. They said he was unlike the other Rabbis that he had compassion for the people that the others despised and looked down on. The grapevine for anyone that helps the dregs of society travels fast. I am about as low down as they go. I heard stories that he had healed the blind, deaf, and even a leper. I wonder if he could help me. I started looking for someone that had actual been there and knew about him. I found a man whose son he had healed. The boy had palsy and often fell into fire and water. I began to have hope for my daughter.
Like every mother, when your babe is born she is perfect and beautiful. As she turned into a totter, I noticed problems. She did not like to be touched and was slow to talk and walk. Sometimes she would make the strangest noises. I would have to watch her or she would try to hurt herself. As she got older, she would know things that had not yet happen and tell it to others. This pleased some but afterwards she was always worst. She started hear voices when no one was around. I loved my husband but he was not easy to be around when he had been drinking and when he died, my baby was ten times worst. She would try to cut herself and you would hear mean, angry, guttural, male voices coming out of my beautiful child.
When she was little, I had taken her to all the healers. I spend all I had on cures. Not one could help her. It is so hard to watch your child, know that there is something wrong, and not be able to help. If I could, I would have taken her place. Finial the doctors told me that there was nothing they could do for her. I should just to lock her away in chains and get on with my life. I worry about her but I could not give up. I feared what kind of life she would lead because no man would want her for a bride as she is. What would happen to her when I died?
I went to the church and appeal to all the gods. Some blame me for her problems saying it was for my sin she was cursed. Some gave me long impossible list of things that I should do. Most just talked and did whatever it took to get me away, after they had my money. They finial told me she was demon possessed and there was nothing anyone could do. Someone like us was beyond God’s love.
Once I even tried to go to a soothsayer hoping she could at least tell me how to keep her safe. She made it better for a short while then things just got worst again.
I have tried everything I know and nothing has worked. I have sold myself as a bondservant just to have food and a roof for us. I want a future for my child. I want her to have a chance to be happy. This man Jesus, he just has to work. I have to tried to save her, I know the good girl I love is in there somewhere. I see her every now and then. She is all I have I cannot give up.
So, I left and went in search of this man, Jesus. I followed the crowds. When I got near, I cried out to him begging him to free my daughter. Surely if he could heal others, he could do something, anything to make the situation better. He certainly could do no worst. The men close to him keep pushing me away and telling me to leave. I could not I had no other hope. I lost him for a little while when he ducked into a house. When I found him, again I ran through his guards so fast they could not stop me. I fell down at his feet, begging and weeping for him to cast the evil spirits out of my daughter. At first, he ignored me, but I cried unto Him, again saying, “Have mercy on me, O Lord, Son of David: my daughter is grievously vexed with a devil."
I heard Him say to the others that he was sent to look for the lost sheep of Israel and not the gentles. "Let the children be satisfied first, for it is not good to take the children's bread and throw it to the dogs." I griped harder to his feet, cling to them with all my life, and would not let go them. But you did not come looking for me, I plead, but I for You. Must I go away empty? Lord, help me please. God be merciful to me a sinner. I have no hope but you. Let me eat from the crumbs of your table. I am only one and there are many miracles still for the Jews. No one will notice but me. I need you too.
Finally, He consented and with a word, “Be gone” the spirit left my daughter and my child was set free. She fell softly to the ground and you could see the peace and joy in her face. I had her back. My baby was whole again. I ran back again and kissed His feet thanking him. Surely, this was the Son of God, for no one else could do what He has done. I can never repay His love, but He has mine forever.

Kathy Barnes
6-11-2010

In America we do not talk much about demons. Here we may know them better as ADHD, OCD, Autism, Anorexic, Bipolar, and Schizophrenia. Regardless of what we call them, Jesus can still heal what the doctors cannot. It may not happen in a day. But, Jesus did heal all that came to Him. Keep holding on and declaring the word for healing in the life of your love ones it will make a difference.

No comments: